I sometimes describe our style as Pottery Barn meets artist’s loft. Or maybe Shabby Chic with a touch of ReadyMade. Ok, so I haven’t come up with a term yet, but we tend to go for classic pieces with fun accessories, and as a result we have a few reoccurring style trends throughout our home.
- Glass Jars & Metal Canisters- We use these for storage in the kitchen and in the bathroom to hold coffee, sugar, bath salts. They’re a nicer option than the packages things come in from the store, and greener than plastic containers.
- Baskets- We use them to store things that can’t be stored in jars and cans, like DVDs and toilet paper.
- Mirrors– I have a small obsession with mirrors. (Which is kind of funny, because at one point Robert had an intense hatred of mirrors.) We bought this one at HomeGoods and painted it green to replace we the one in the guest bath, which is slightly smaller and used to hang here, and we have a horizontal version in the hallway to bounce more light in there as well. And that isn’t even mentioning the mirror in the living room, the full length mirror in the bed room, and so on. Oi.
- Seeded glass is another decor love of ours. We made this beauty from a glass shade we bought at a local home renovation outlet and a pendant lamp kit from Lowe’s, and then we went back to grab the last two matching shades to make a light fixture for the dining room. And every ceiling fan (we live in Florida, ok?) has seeded glass shades, because the easy upgrade was easier on the pocketbook than buying five new fans.
- Fun Accessories- We like to accentuate our house with things to keep it from looking too Pottery Barn (although Pottery Barn is adding more and more of its own fun accessories recently). Ours range anywhere from this white elephant to a ceramic version of the coffee cups used in New York the red swingline from Office Space
What about you guys, do you any repeats in your homes? Maybe they’re in a broader sense than ours, like how we have cushy rugs in a couple rooms, and woven textures popping up in several places?